Let’s pay tribute to the OG cocktail before these skinny young mimosas and bellinis started ruling the brunch tables. Here are some delicious Bloody Mary recipes that will smooth over those tired eyes and weary head from the night before.
Fresh and Traditional: Homemade Bloody Mary
32 ounces tomato juice
8 ounces vodka
1 medium-to-large cucumber, peeled and seeded
⅓ cup distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon hot sauce (I used Tapatío), more to taste
1 teaspoon (about 50 twists) freshly ground black pepper
2 medium cloves garlic, pressed or minced
¼ teaspoon salt, optional
Lemon or lime wedges
Kosher salt, for the rims of your glasses, optional (add chili powder if you’d like)
Garnish: Celery stalks, skinny carrots with leafy tops, mini bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, dill pickle spears, pickled okra, and/or green cocktail olives
1. Salt the Glasses: Rim your glass with a lemon or lime wedge. Pour salt or salt mixed with chili powder on a plate, then turn the rim to salt the glass.
2. Blend the Cocktail: Add tomato juice, vodka, cucumber, vinegar, celery seed, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce to blender. Taste to see if the cocktail needs an extra kick with more hot sauce. Add more if desired. Then add black pepper and minced garlic cloves and blend again. Taste and stir in ¼ teaspoon of salt, if needed.
3. Serve: Fill each salted glass with ice, then pour the cocktail over and garnish. Bon appétit!
Lean and Green: Green Bloody Mary
5 tomatillos (husks removed)
3 medium yellow tomatoes
2 stalks celery
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 ½ cups water
1 ½ teaspoons horseradish
¼ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
6 ounces of vodka
Salt & Chili Powder
- Salt the Glasses: Rim your glass with a lemon wedge. Pour salt mixed with chili powder (50/50 proportion) on a plate, then turn the rim to salt the glass.
- Blend the Cocktail: Chop the tomatillos, yellow tomatoes, celery and jalapeno into small pieces. Then add the pieces along with the cilantro, water, horseradish, cumin, salt and pepper to the blender. Strain some of the mixture to make it thinner or leave it as is for a thick consistency. Chill until cold.
- Serve: Pour into each glass with a little room on top. Then top each glass with 1 ½ ounce of vodka. Garnish with celery, tomatoes and serrano pepper.
Full Breakfast in a Glass: Bacon and Egg Bloody Mary
1 (28 ounce) can whole plum tomatoes, undrained
1 celery stalk
3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic peeled and smashed
2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
½ teaspoon Sriracha
¼ teaspoon celery seed
3-4 lemon wedges for rimming glasses
1 cup vodka or gin
8 deviled eggs skewered on cocktail straws or sandwich sticks (two each straw or stick)
8 strips cooked bacon
- Salt the Glasses: Rim your glass with a lemon wedge. Pour the seasoning salt on a plate, then turn the rim to salt the glass.
- Blend the Cocktail: Chop the celery into small pieces. Blend the plum tomatoes, celery, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, horseradish, hot pepper sauce, Sriracha and celery seed in a blender. Chill until cold. When ready to serve, mix the vodka or gin into the mixture.
- Serve: Fill the glass with ice then pour into each Bloody Mary mixture into each glass. Garnish with two strips of bacon and skewered eggs. Serve and get ready to rise and shine!
Wepa!: Mexican Bloody Maria
4 ounces tomato juice
1 ½ ounces tequila blanco (or vodka to make it a regular bloody mary)
¼ lemon, divide into 2 wedges (one for garnish, one for juice)
¼ lime, divided into 2 wedges (one for garnish, one for juice)
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (about 4 dashes)
¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 pinch celery salt
1 pinch smoked paprika
1 pinch black pepper
- Salt the Glasses: Rim your glass with a lemon wedge. Pour an even mixture of celery salt and smoked paprika on a plate, then turn the rim to salt the glass.
- Shake the Cocktail: Add tomato juice, tequila, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, celery salt, paprika and black pepper to the shaker. Squeeze a wedge of lemon and a wedge of lime, then shake.
- Serve: Fill the salted glasses with ice, then pour the cocktail mixture over the ice. Garnish with lime wedge, lemon wedge, olive, pickle spear, pepperoncini and celery stalk. Arriba arriba!
Ultimate Juicing: Bloody Maria with Kale and Tomato Juice
3 ½ ounces baby kale (approximately 5 big handfuls)
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Tabasco
½ cup vodka
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
½ teaspoon horseradish
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 pinch salt and black pepper
2 ½ cups tomato juice
½ cup crushed ice
- Salt the Glasses: Rim your glass with a lime wedge. Pour an even mixture of salt and paprika or a spice rub on a plate, then turn the rim to salt the glass.
- Shake the Cocktail: Add baby kale, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, vodka, lime juice, horseradish, paprika, salt, pepper, tomato juice and ice to blender and blend.
- Serve: Pour mixture into glass and garnish with fresh vegetables, such as celery or carrots.
East Meets West: Wasabi Bloody Mary
6 ounces tomato juice
1 ½ ounces vodka
1 teaspoon wasabi paste (or less to taste)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Dash of hot sauce
- Salt the Glasses: Rim your glass with a lime wedge. Pour an even mixture of celery salt on a plate, then turn the rim to salt the glass.
- Shake the Cocktail: Stir vodka and wasabi together until blended well. Add tomato juice, vodka/wasabi mix, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce to shaker, then shake well.
- Serve: Fill glass with ice, then pour mixture into glass. Squeeze lime wedge, then garnish with celery stalk. Kanpai!
With these recipes, you’ll be able to master the Bloody Mary and conquer brunch like the champ that you are!
This blog is guest written by LA Epic Club Crawls.
Check them out for the best Las Vegas Club Crawl, Fremont Street Bar Crawl, Miami Club Crawl, Downtown LA Club Crawl, Hollywood Club Crawl, New York Club Crawl, Chicago Club Crawl & Australia Club Crawl!