My wife and I love trying new bars through the HOOCH app, but there are nights that call for a delicious cocktail at home. When the temperature drops, Amanda heats up a big batch of her incredible mulled cider, a fantastic drink for either a night-in or a cocktail party.
It’s likely to beat the pants off of any other warm cocktail you’ve had at home and the best part is that it is incredibly easy to make. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 gallon fresh pressed apple cider
- 2 navel oranges
- 16 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 2 whole allspice berries
- Your favorite bourbon or spiced rum
Now that you have these wonderful spices together, here are the quick-and-easy steps to making this most delightful drink:
- Pour the apple cider into a slow cooker
- Stud the oranges with the whole cloves, placing eight cloves in each orange. (Bonus points if you design a smiley face on your orange!)
- Place the studded oranges, cinnamon sticks, star anise, and allspice berries in the pot
- Set your slow cooker to the “low” setting until hot and fragrant. Then, set it to “warm.”
If you don’t feel like trudging out in the cold for the star anise or allspice berries, you can 86 those for the sake of convenience. If you skip those spices, you can ramp up the flavor by adding additional cloves to your studded oranges. Also, if you don’t have a slow-cooker on hand, you can use a regular old pot and let the cider simmer on the stove. Just be sure to stir it occasionally.
All that’s left to do now is ladle the cider into the mugs and add your booze of choice. Enjoy!